Monday, November 19, 2012

First weekend in Korea

Training last week went really well. Nick and I both feel that the only thing left to do is just take the leap of teaching faith.

This weekend was good but not relaxing. We had to clean both of our apartments top to bottom. We were told that they had been cleaned before we got here but there is something about cleaning it yourself and knowing that it is truly clean. It also allowed us to find a lot of things that were tucked away. We found this rice cooker among other things. Shae (The lead teacher) taught us how to use it (Directions were in Korean) so we cooked our first meal with it.


The rice cooker


Our first meal

Once the house was all cleaned we sat around for a little while (Nick took a nap). When Shae and Adam got home they took us into Changnyeong to G-mart so we could get an electric blanket and a heater. I don't know how weather is back in the states but here it is getting REALLY cold. If the temperature was just low it wouldn't be a problem but the wind here is what makes it so bad.




This is the electric blanket we bought. It is doing the job very well.



This is a picture of our little side table. It is also proof that I brought the gift my sister Leigh gave me the night before we left. I told her that Nick and I weren't taking any pictures because we didn't have room and we didn't know what kind of space we would have in our apartment. Leigh gave me this to bring with us and every time I look at it I smile and thank my Heavenly Father for such a wonderful sister.


Surrounding our little village we have these. The farmers grow rice, garlic, and onions here. The other day we watched them plant something and then fill the trenches with water. It was cool.


Saturday we took the trash out and this cute little dog followed us. It has made friends with the staff here and unfortunately we aren't allowed to have pets in the building.


We have to walk to take our trash our (oh and they have to be in a pink bag) We also have to keep the food items separate. We save ours in a tupperware container and then when it is full we have to add it to the rest in a nasty garbage can full of food. YUCK.. they say during the summer time it is the nastiest thing ever.

Sunday we caught a ride with Shae and Adam to Daegu for church. Church for us started at 10:30 am and it took over an hour to get there. After church the Senior Missionaries, Elder and Sister Helms, of our ward took us to their place and fed us lunch. Then they took us to the subway where we met Adam at 3:30 pm. Adam taught us how to use the subway because when they can't take us we will have to catch a bus to Daegu and then ride the subway to church. Below is the picture of the subway. I sat down in a seat on the subway and Adam told me it was the section for old and handicapped people so I quickly jumped up. Then an old man I had sat next to invited me to sit with him, Adam told me it was okay. The man started telling me stories about when he was young. He spoke very good English and I loved talking with him.


This is the guy I talked to.
We had a Thanksgiving dinner. Adam and Shae invited us to their church's Thanksgiving gathering. The food was great and the people were too. We met a couple from South Africa and some random Korean man came and sat with us. They gave us some beans and for every bean we had to say something we were grateful for. I had the most beans out of the group and that was okay because I am grateful for a lot of things. When I got to my last bean I knew what I had to say because the spirit was so strong and I couldn't ignore it. I told the group how grateful I am for my religion because Nick and I were able to be sealed together for eternity and not just "till death do you part". I am very grateful for my eternal companion and I am so glad to be here in Korea with him. We are learning and growing together and making memories that we will never forget.


I am also grateful for all of my family (including my in-laws) you all have helped me grow into the person I am today. You might not know it but you are dear to my heart and it is hard being here without you. Sticking together as family is how we are all going to make it to the celestial kingdom. We can never give up on one another and we must pray for each other often. 

Love 
Lauren and Nick

P.S.

I am also grateful for my new Korea Family.  They have been so helpful is showing us the ropes and helping us know what to expect and how to get the most out of our ex-patriot experience. Love you lots already!



No comments:

Post a Comment