Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Best Friend and Vegas

A few weeks ago I booked a flight so I could see Rachael, my best friend. She lives in Vegas and we haven't seen each other in over five years. While I was in Korea she had a life changing experience happen, she almost DIED from a ruptured AVM. I'm so glad I had the means to visit her.

You cannot visit a best friend without thinking about your childhood and all of the fun things we have done together. Rachael and I were basically neighbors growing up. We could walk to each others houses no problem as long as we had permission from our parents. Most of our youthful time together was spent at church activities. Pardon me for reminiscing for a minute. 

This picture was taken at Sister Dexter's house during Youth Conference 2002
Rachael, Anna and Brooke
At church with some great gals!
Rachael, Hannah, Mary, Katie, Sunni, and Jessica
I don't remember what event this was, maybe the Marshall's will remember. 
Rachael, Brother Marshall, ME, Bryce, Anna

Without Rachael and Anna I'm not sure how I would have survived high school.

When I did my senior photos they allowed Rachael to be in my photo shoot. We had a great time posing and making silly faces. If we can do anything right it would be hilarious photos. I'm sorry because I chose not to post any of them because they are embarrassing. 

My trip to Vegas was so relaxing and a much needed break from the freezing weather in Boston. Rachael and her sister Sarah really pampered me. My hair was straight for a few days. I haven't had it straight in a long time and definitely not with my new cut.
We walked a lot and it was great! I have been to Utah but that is as far West I had been till this trip. It was the first time I saw a legit wild cactus! I'm sure Rachael thought I was silly because I wanted a picture of them but I think they are super cool.

This picture is a typical one... Rachael is being silly and I was trying to give her bunny ears but I'm too short. This was the night we walked around the strip for a couple of hours. We had a great time people watching and exploring a few places. We went back to the place where she worked when her AVM ruptured, she hasn't been back since. She would never let it show but I know on the inside she wasn't doing so well.

We all have trials in life and we have them to help us learn and grow. If I have learned anything lately it has been that I have nothing. Everything I do have was given to me by Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful for that knowledge. I'm grateful that I could have such an awesome best friend who loves me for who I am and will listen to me go on and on about life. 

I don't have children but I have heard many parents say it's hard for them to watch their children be sick and they feel so helpless because they cannot relieve the pain. Right now that's how I feel about Rachael. I feel helpless, all I want to do is tell her I love her and hug her until she understands. She needs to understand how important she is to me and to others who have known her. 

She won't admit any of her hard times because she doesn't want people to feel sorry for her and she most certainly doesn't want to come across selfish. She realizes that there are others who have it much worse than she does. 

Rachael has a stack of medical  bills that she has to pay before the doctor will even see her again. She feels like she has a price on her head. If you want to help her you can do so by donating to her fund herehttp://www.gofundme.com/he6he0  

Or leave a encouraging comment on the blog so she can see it.

This Post is dedicated to the best friends in our lives. The ones who are there for you thick and thin. The ones who teach you things without ever knowing it. The ones who make you grateful for what you have. I hope if nothing else, in reading this you'll think of those friends and let them know how much you care.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love seeing the old pic's of you guys! I knew ya'll back then in some of those pic's. It's awesome to see what amazing adults you turned into. What a nice time to get t g visit your sweet friend! (((((HUGS))))) to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete