Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wedding Ducks

Easter traditions: I went shopping a few weeks ago to pick up a few things for Easter. I got a kimchi pot as a basket and I also got some traditional Korean wedding ducks. 
 Thanks Mom for the Easter candy, it really made Easter, Easter. I love you!

Korean wedding ducks are given to a bride and groom from a hand picked carver. The carver can only carve one set of ducks in his life. He must be rich, healthy, no divorce in his family, have a  good wife and many children. It isn't the quality of the carving but the purity of the carver that is thought to bring love in the marriage. While he makes the ducks he prays for the couple receiving them and it is said that part of his spirit goes into the ducks and that spirit makes the couple happy.

The beautiful clothe the ducks are wrapped in represents peace, many children, and no separation. The couple is to always keep the ducks in their home. The positions in which the ducks are placed is also important. If they are bill to bill (nose to nose) it means they are happy together. If they are tail to tail or if the noses aren't facing each other it means they are having trouble in their marriage.

At the wedding the ducks are thrown to the bride. If she catches them they will have a boy first, if she doesn't they will have a girl.

I loved the ducks and thought it would be awesome to have them in our house..
So looking at the picture above can you tell which duck is the female one?

Anyways moving on to later in our Saturday....
Adam, Shae, Nick and I went on a hike/walk this afternoon. Adam and Shae have been wanting to take us to the reservoir for sometime now but we waited until it was warm outside. Today was such a beautiful day and the walk was beautiful as well. All of the trees are in bloom, and everything seemed extra amazing. I think this is the prettiest stretch of Korea I have seen since we have been here. Take a look at the pictures and I think you will agree with me.








 We got there and stopped at a little waffle coffee place for something cool to drink. The view was so breath taking we stayed for a little while to soak it all in.









 As we were walking back we walked up a steep hill to check out a cute little cafe called cafe pine and found this awesome bike. A Boss Hoss with a V8 engine, in Korea how odd is that?

The river was lined with cherry trees and as I walked I thought of my grandma and how much she loved beautiful wildflowers and nature... and how much my feet hurt. Six miles later we returned home and ate some tacos for dinner. We so grateful for everything that Heavenly Father has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment