Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Taekwondo Black Belt Test


It finally came.  The day I'd been preparing for since we got to Korea.  Taekwondo Black belt Test day!

Months leading up to this day were challenging. I had to mentally and physically prepare myself while my broken arm was still healing. I got the bill of health from my Doctor two days before my test. Knowing my arm was fully healed put my mind at ease about the sparring (fighting) portion of my test. 

Master park picked us up at 10:45 and squeezed us (Lauren Hand and Nick came along for moral support) in to our Taekwondo van with all of the other upgrade hopefuls from our gym and we were off to Gimhae. It didn't take long before we arrived and we ate lunch, stretched and practiced.

I think it is hilarious that the other students who were testing that day were going for their first black belt just like me, but they are so little.

After we practiced and got warmed up it was time to get our name tags and I was brought to a different door. I had no idea that it was the door I was going to walk into to perform my poomsaes and sparring. I thought I was brought over there because it was my space to practice, but we hadn't been standing there 5 minutes when they called my town. I was so grateful to You Jin my Korean twin. She stayed with me and directed me. There were three teenage boys from Changnyeong who were taking the same test, so we had a small group. Why did they pick me to be number 1? I have no Idea. Because I was #1 in the group random officials kept trying to talk to me and move our group from place to place and the boys just laughed at me as I shook my head and did the best I could to understand the directions and lead our group. I'm glad I watched the other groups so I already had an idea of what I needed to do.

We moved to the stage I sat first in our row sitting cris cross apple sauce with my arms extended and hands in fist resting on my knees. This is Taekwondo manner, however no one else was doing it. I felt that my manner is what kept my breathing in check and my heart in my chest.

We got up and moved to the floor. I look up and Nick is no where to be seen.... my heart started beating really fast. I meet eyes with my master and he told me to breathe. I resumed breathing and he told me to stretch so I did some light stretches.

My group is up next and I'm surprised how calm I am. I have worked so hard for this test. I keep telling myself that I would not mess up and I would show how confident I am in my skills.

Standing in attention in front of three judges who are all LOOKING AT ME!!! I was the foreigner and they wanted to see how well I was going to do. They called the poomsae that need to be performed and I nailed it.

In the video watch the judges watch me at the beginning.


After we performed the first poomsae they called, they called my to the desk (because I'm #1 in the group) I got to the chose a ball with a number on it. Whatever number it is we had to preform that poomsae. I picked up lucky number 4. We did the poomsae and then got pushed to the stage to get ready to spar (fight),

A week before the test I was told that I would be fight a high school boy who had no control over his body. I worried and stressed about that for a whole week. Turns out he was super friendly, but they were right, he had no control. Sparing is not my strongest skill in taekwondo, but I did my best. You are suppose to kick each other with different kicks you have learned up to this point to show off your skills. When a boy spars with a girl he cannot kick her in the head and after they told him that maybe he got confused. He didn't really kick me at all. He kneed my stomach a lot and kicked me below my knees. It hurt because I didn't have padding there. After we finished his master yelled at him in front of me and then turned and asked if I was okay. I told him I was great and then he turned and yelled at the boy some more. I asked You Jin what was being said and she told me his master was mad because he only kicked with his knee.

Here is a video of my fight:


After I finished I found the kids and wished them luck as they were about to take their test. Nick, Lauren and I went up to the stands and watched and recorded them as they did their thing.

Afterward we all took some fun pictures.
Me, Sohee, Master Park, His wife, Nick

Yu Jin, Me, Master Park's wife
us with Sohee
This kid was hilarious!
He had the most adorable chunky cheeks!
I'm gonna slice some bread!
Sohee, Nick and Chunky cheek boy
Our kids about to test.
I'm getting ready to fight.
Me and the three boys from Changnyeong. 
Over all the experience was great and I'm really glad I was able to earn my black belt in Korea. It taught us so much about the culture and about ourselves. It's so much more than just kicking and punching and people who have never done a martial art don't know that. You train your mind, body and soul in the process of a workout. We will never forget this experience here and plan to continue with our Taekwondo training when we get back to the US.


No comments:

Post a Comment