Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Mokpo and the Ferry to Jeju island

We took the train down from Seoul to Mokpo. It took us 4 hours to make the trip. When we arrived we found our hotel with ease and we headed out to explore. We found the down town area but we couldn't find food so I stopped two women and asked them where the food street was. They didn't understand what I was asking for so I thought of the only food name they might know, chickenuh. Their eyes lit up and they grabbed us and we walked and walked and walked and finally ended up at a run down chicken restaurant that doubled as a house. The fried chicken there was amazing! Mom and Don really loved it. Afterward, we found our way back to where we met the ladies and stopped for some waffle ice cream for dessert.

The next morning we woke up really early to catch our ferry to Jeju island. We were all excited but it was very different than we expected it to be.
 Waiting to jump on the ferry
Selfie as we walked up the ramp to enter the ferry.

The staff helped us find our room and we were surprised to find that it was just an open room, no seats or furniture or anything. You had to take your shoes off before you went in to clam your personal floor area. We chose to sit by the window.

 Shoes in the hallway.
We shared our room with these guys and two families. 

When we entered our room a couple with twins had already claimed the other corner next to the windows. As soon as we sat down this happened. 
He crawled up to me and was my buddy for the next 5 hours while we were on the boat. Sorry for the cuteness overload.


 They loved our electronics!
After a while, we made another friend. Her family sat on the other side of us and her Mother spoke English pretty well. The little girl just watched us for a few hours, not sure what to make of us, and then the above happened..... the itsy bitsy spider.

Once the little girl in the pink dress started talking to us there was no going back. She wasn't speaking any English but would just go on and on and on. It was super cute but we wish we could have understood her. Her mother started to tell us what she was saying and most of the time she was asking what is this? What is that? She even came up to me and sat in my lap, looked and pointed at my breast and asked, What is that? We all laughed really hard.

At one point I wanted to go walk around the ship because I needed air and the boat had more than just sitting rooms. It had a game room, restaurant, convenience store, bakery, souvenir shops, karaoke room, and more. We were also able to walk around the outside deck. Anyways, as I got up to leave, the baby boy crawled after me and started to climb up my leg. I picked him up and asked his mom if it was okay to take him with me and she gave me permission. The little girl in the pink dress (not his sister) ran up to me and got angry because I was trying to take him with me. After some argument she ran over to her dad and I took my chance to escape. Next thing I know she came running down the hall with her father. She grabbed my hand and took me around the whole boat talking to me the whole time. Her father just laughed and followed us. At one point he tried to grab her and and she yelled "No" and turned her head towards me and smiled. I felt very special! It was a great boat ride. We were sad to part when we reached the island.
We made it to Jeju!!!

On the Ferry ride back to Mokpo we took some pictures on the deck and stayed there most of the time because our room mates weren't as cute. We were in a room with a bunch of drunk men who wanted us to gamble as we played Rummy. There was also a nice young University student who loved chatting with Don ;)



 The ferry was a great and cheap experience! We would definitely do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment